12 June 2006

Hot Dog

Apparently, I'm not the only one in this apartment that misses air conditioning. After yet another night of mediocre sleep, I broke down and went to Darty to buy a fan. Colin and I both hated to spend the money when we're only a month or so from moving home, but ... well, I'm a pansy, OK? I hate trying to sleep when I'm hot.

Once Didge was introduced to the fan, however, it became quickly apparent that we had a third entity to share it with. I put it on the floor for Didge this afternoon because he just looked so hot and miserable. Of course, he's such a smart dog that you could almost see the understanding welling up in his eyes. "Ah ha!" he thought. "So that's how they stay cool!" He looked so relieved that we left it oscillating on him until we were ready to eat dinner.

Then, we ran into a small problem. Didge has a command -- mealtime -- that means he is supposed to jump up on the couch and stay there until released. We made up this "trick" while living here because his begging for food was becoming overwhelming. (It's hard to enjoy your food when you have a lap full of giant dog head.) Normally, he's pretty quick to respond to the command. This evening, when Colin gave the command, he looked at both of us as if to say, "You've got to be kidding," and then looked longingly into the fan. Only when he realized that we had adjusted it so that he would still receive a good breeze did he finally follow his command. As Charlie Brown would say, "Why can't I have a normal dog like everyone else?" :)


In other news, I just finished going through my mom's vacation pictures. She got a new digital camera before she came over, and tons of her pictures are just stunning. Here are a couple that I had to share on the blog. Good job, MoMom!


A woman stops to collect another seashell on Omaha Beach in Normandy.

Part of a limestone bluff at Pointe du Hoc, also in Normandy. The water is so gorgeous, it looks like we were in the Caribbean!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home