13 October 2005

Paris is a veritable smorgasbord


If there ever were a live performance of Charlotte's Web, my dog could play Templeton the rat. I don't mean to imply that my dog looks like a rodent (though he might be able to pass for a dwarf capybara in a pinch). Rather, I think I heard him singing the waltz that Templeton sings in the cartoon version of this classic book. You know, the one that goes:

"A fair is a veritable smorgasbord, 'orgasbord, 'orgasbord,
After the sun goes down,
Each night, when the lights go down
It's candy found on the ground all around
Oh, how a rat can glut, glut, glut, GLUT!"

Just exchange "A fair" with "Paris" and you have Didge. Heck, you don't even have to wait until the sun goes down. That blasted dog can find edibles anywhere. Seriously, we took a walk to Le Parc Montsourris again this afternoon, and that dog must have eaten his weight in "stuff." Other than a partial baguette thrown on the street, I have NO idea what he ate today. But, every time he rooted around in the leaves for a minute or so, he came up chewing.

Hey, wait a minute. Maybe he's finding truffles. I could be sitting on a gold mine!

In other news, I successfully went to the post office and got more stamps. I was so proud of my well-composed, impromptu sentence to the cashier: "Bonjour, je voudrais acheter six timbres pour envoyer des cartes postals." (Hello, I would like to buy 6 stamps for sending postcards.) Then, she had to go and deflate my fragile ego by asking where I planned to send the postcards. *Sigh* At least I knew what she asked for right away, right? BONUS: I wasn't able to see the total cost displayed on the monitor, so I had to go solely on what I heard the woman tell me I owed her. I got it right the first time! Exact change, nonetheless!! (Either that, or she is totally skimming profits, but probably not.)

Then, on my way out of the building, a woman stopped and asked me a question. I still have no idea what she said. Just when I start to get cocky about my "fluency"...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home