18 October 2005

A Refuge!

I found an American keyboard! Not that this computer is really the most technologically advanced, but for the moment, it's free. I found the American Library in Paris, which is comparable to a small-town library. It's SO great, I want to cry with happiness! (And look, apostrophes!! '''''''''')

This is a good point to vent a bit about my French skills, or should I say lack thereof. I hit my first period of frustration with not being fluent over the weekend, and while it's not nearly as bad as I expected my first break point to be, it was frustrating. I hate being afraid to walk up to someone and ask a question because I won't understand the answer. I hate turning on the TV and not being able to channel surf and enjoy whatever mindless drivel comes on. I hate grocery shopping when I have to get out my dictionary to understand what some of the words mean. ARGH!!!

Anyway, it is what it is. I don't want to hide away in the American library and never practice my French again, but it's so nice to have a place where the default language is English. Once I get my membership, I'll be able to check out books, movies, CDs, even cookbooks!! I'm so excited, I can't even begin to tell you. (I can't get a membership today because I don't have any checks with me, I don't carry a lot of cash, and they don't take credit cards.) But, for only a bus ride across town, I can find USA Today, Newsweek ... heck, even Cosmo!

So, don't worry, I'm not bailing out on French all together. It would be such a waste not to improve my fluency.

Oops ... gotta go! I'll explain later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home