18 June 2006

The 'Rentals are Here, Part II

As the French would say, my "beau-parents" are in town, a.k.a. my in-laws. Interesting, I think, that the add-on is not legalese, but a word that literally translates to mean "beautiful" or "handsome." I'm not sure if this is a cultural commentary or not ... do the French adore their spouse's parents, whereas the Americans feel legally bound to theirs? Or are the French actually just more sarcastic (i.e. "Oh great, my beautiful parents are here...") than the Americans, who choose to call it as they see it?

Fortunately for me, I have good beau-parents. I know many people who are not nearly as lucky! The only downside to their visit is that it signifies the last visitors that we will have before we return to the US. As of Tuesday, we have one month left. Simply mind-boggling!

The good news (other than the arrival of family) is that we have an apartment waiting for us in Ann Arbor! OK, technically, we're going to be in the neighboring city of Ypsilanti, but we try not to think about that. (Our friend Andy calls that city Ypsi-tucky, if that gives you any indication of how it compares to Ann Arbor.) The apartment is a two-bed, two-bath that sits just south of WCC and just west of EMU. Oh, for those of you who are wondering what happened to the house we were going to rent, we decided not to take it when we saw the crime statistics for the last six months. Call me picky, but I prefer to have my car stereo in my car. :)

We're off to Switzerland on Tuesday morning for a few days, so blog postings will be a bit scarce again this week. Don't worry - when I get back, there will be some gorgeous pictures of the Swiss Alps to enjoy!

2 Comments:

At 20/6/06 03:49, Blogger Andy Noverr said...

Ain't no shame in the Ypsi game. In many ways we'd much rather prefer living back in our old neighborhood than up here in Nascarville.

One month to go? Be sure to soak up all that is France in your last days there. We'd love to be able to follow in your footsteps. Hell, I'd even give up having central air for the experience...

 
At 20/6/06 10:37, Blogger Unknown said...

We're sorry the house didn't work out. Actually, Homer is sorry because you won't have a fenced in yard! But at least you will live a little closer to us!

And of all the towns that I have heard "tucky" added to the end, Ypsi is the first one that actually has a historical reason for it. I don't know all of the details, but during one of the world wars (three, maybe?) the military imported a bunch of workers from Kentucky to work at one of the defense plants over by Willow Run. So even before Ypsi became Ann Arbor's ghetto, people were abusing the poor town by calling it Ypsi-tucky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home